World Run II / Reports
The map shows the position of which the pictures for the day are taken (if any). The start and finish markers are placed at the first and last valid registered position. This is not nessesary the actual start and finish position, if GSM or GPS signals was not available.
Distance today: 37.0 km (Accumulated: 32139.0 km)
Elapsed time: 03:40:39
Start 10:41am. at "Mile 123" on hwy.1, 26c, allmost clear & light wind. Finish 15:04pm. at shop sign "Runners High" at hwy.1, in Pinecrest, Miami.
Ultra Running, American style !
Since a few days into this North American part of world run 2 I have had a level of support wich is Simply Amazing. I have enjoyed good support many places in the world, reguardless of culture, religion and etnic area - Some of the previous highlights were the fantastic friendship and running company during the 7500km straight across Siberia (world run 1), the quiet gentleness and generosity of the Nubian people on the outskirts of the Sahara Desert, the strong welcome by the huge South African ultrarunning society and not least the 'ultra heaven' of running through Finland....
But. A level of support like the one I have experiensed the first week of running in Florida - I dont think I have come across that on 6 continents !
To give an idea:
- Apparently me and my support-drivers accomodation has been taken care of througout the state of Florida by local runners offering a bed to sleep in after the daily stages. Runners who comes out on the highway 1 to join me for short or long. Even brining me food, energy-drinks and nutrition for the km's ahead; and offering dinner for our small team. It is not only much more than what I could have hoped for - it is Outstanding and a joy to see how the running community works together.
Most of all; I enjoy every minute of the company during the daily run. Like today where Wayne and Andrei shared the run and words. For a 'life-time runner' as me its such a joy to get to share oppinions on the sport, ideas of events (and dynamic people as the americans never seem to lack that :-), knowleds and anectotes from past events and ultraruns. It makes every minute a small party for a tired runner like me, after km by km and contry after contry running alone untill now !
The media interest also seems to be picking up; The Miami Herald (or that's what I think it was called) made a 45min. phoneinterview as we were getting ready to start - and surprised by their good research on ultrarunning and the world run 2. Im not used to that level of knowledge on ultrarunning.
- How to repay this kind of support ?? ... ?? It seems like they already have it all: Warm weather all year, bike/walk/running paths along the roads, a great running community ! Atleast I can celebrate the support by taking part in a race' while Im running in Florida - to also in this way be a part of the running community for a little moment ! So there'll be coming up a small race in a weeks or so :-)
OVERALL PLAN, NORTH AMERICA 2012:
1) KEY WEST to RICHMOND, 10. January - 4. March. 2171km.
2) RICHMOND to NEW YORK, 4. March - 19. March. 500km.
3) NEW YORK to BOSTON, 19. March - 30. March. 400km.
4) BOSTON to HOULTON/BORDER, 30. March - 15. April. 700km.
5) HOULTON/BORDER CANADA to NOVA SCOTIA, 1. May - 1. June. 900km.
6) NOVA SCOTIA/PT. AUX BASQUES to ST. JOHNS, NEW FOUNDLAND, 1. June - 1. July. 900km.
Total for NORTH AMERICA: 5600KM.
8/1, Arrival Miami International Airport, American Airlines 2170, 12:35 noon.
10/1, Start Key West - Miami, 300km.
18/1, Miami - Palm Beach, 100km.
21/1, Palm Beach - Palm Bay, 150km.
25/1, Palm Bay - Daytona, 150km.
29/1, Daytona - Jacksonville, 150km.
(1 restday in Daytona or J.ville.).
3/2, Jacksonville - Savannah, 200km.
9/2, Savannah - Manning, 200km.
16/2, Manning - Southern Pines, 200km.
23/2, Southern Pines - Durham/Raleigh, 100km.
26/2, Durham/Raleigh - Henderson, 80km.
28/2, Henderson - Richmond, 200km.
4/3, Richmond - Washington, 200km.
(1 restday in Washington)
10/3, Washington - Baltimore. 60km.
11/3, Baltimore - Philadelphia. 150km.
15/3, Philadelphia - Newark/New York City. 150km.
19/3, Newark/NYC - Mystic. 200km.
25/3, Mystic - Boston. 180km.
30/3, Boston - Portland. 180km.
4/4, Portland - Augusta. 100km.
7/4, Augusta - Bangor. 120km.
10/4, Bangor - Canadian border/Houlton. 180km.
15/4, arrival at Canadian border